As we mentioned earlier RFID has been used for laundry tracking for a long time. Main challenges were:Tagsys BluTAG BluTAG is one of the sturdiest and most resilient encapsulated HF tags available on the market today, specifically designed for industrial textile products, including flat linen, for identification in rough industrial laundry environments.TAGYS ARIO 370XL-DL TAGSYS ARIO tag is similar to the BluTAG but with user memory 256 bits. Further features include:TAGSYS LinTRAK TAGSYS’ LinTRAK UHF tags have been specifically designed to meet the tracking requirements of the laundry industry in terms of shape, robustness and ease of fixation. The LinTRAK B features a unique ultra-strong, heat-resistant thermosetting adhesive for direct fixation onto textile products using a standard thermo patching process, while maintaining market-leading read and write performance.Adafruit MiFare Classic Laundry TagIn the next post we will explore RFID readers for uniform and laundry tracking. Note: RFID4U does not endorse any particular brand or standard and is not compensated for mentioning them in this post or other posts. They are simply provided as examples.
- Attachment of tags
- Durability of tags
- Read range
HF LAUNDRY TAGSLogi Tag Disc Tag One of the Low and High Frequency tags is Logi TagTM. Their discs are easily sewn into the hem or seam of a garment, uniform, napkin, tablecloth or runner. The Logi Tag Button 162 transponder is indistinguishable from ordinary buttons, and can be sewn onto clothing with standard stitching equipment and processes. Logi Tag discs are compliant with standard RFID readers and modules, and are ATEX certified for safe use in potentially explosive environments. Their specifications are:
- LF 125 kHz or HF 13.56 MHz
- ISO 15693/18000-3 (HF)
- 64-bit UID; up to 1024 bit read-write user memory
- Anti-collision, multi-read capable (HF)
- High chemical and mechanical resistance
- Temperature resistant up to 347° F (175° C)
- Options for mounting on metal or non-metal surfaces
- BluTAG is highly resistant to tunnel washers, water extractors (up to 60 bars), tunnel finishers and tumblers (up to 392°F/200°C),
- Uses HF (13.56 MHz)
- 15 mm diameter (0.6”) and 2.8 mm thick (0.11”)
- Offers 64-bit UID
- Small and rugged
- HF frequency
- Small size and white color make it ideal for incorporating into garments.
- Chip ID laser-marked directly on tag for additional visual identification.
UHF LAUNDRY TAGSFujitsu Ultra-Rugged Flexible Tag
Another great option, this time in UHF, is the Fujitsu tag WT-A521 and A522.
- UHF technology allows the reading of hundreds of tags simultaneously
- More than 6 foot reading distance
- Cost efficient solution with exceptional durability for washing, drying, dry cleaning and ironing
- Suitable for high-pressure extractors up to 60 bar
- Small, soft, flexible material ideal for textiles, linens, garments and accessories
- Withstands maximum temperatures up to 200°C/392°F
- Conforms to ISO/IEC 18000-6 Type C
- 100% non-magnetic construction, suitable for hospital use
- Size 20 x 59 mm (0.78” x 2.3”) and 1.95 mm thick (0.07”)
- Materials: Epoxy, Converted Polyester, Thermosetting adhesive on the back
- Monza 5 chip
- 32 user bits
- 128-bit EPC
- 96-bit TID
NFC LAUNDRY TAGSRapidNFC Laundry Tag 14mm Ultralight This is a tough 14mm/0.5” laundry tag with an Ultralight NFC chip designed to withstand heat, pressure and chemicals.
- 5mm thick with rounded edges. For use in laundry/clothing but this tough little tag is useful in all kinds of asset tagging, jewelry and other uses.
- Can withstand up to 140°C/284°F.
- The disc is supplied plain dark grey (almost black) on both sides but can be printed with a logo if required.
- Often used for laundry or identification but also found in other systems where a small proximity card is desired.
- The tag contains a NXP S50 chip and an antenna, and can be read by almost any 13.56MHz RFID/NFC reader (MiFare)
- These chips can be written to & store up to 1 KB of data in writable EEPROM divided into banks, and can handle over 100,000 re-writes.
- 2” read range