Frequencies normally used
- Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) – 860 – 960 MHz
- Microwave Frequency 2.45 GHz
Data Transfer Rate – depends on frequency and is function of the wave
- UHF – fast
- Microwave – ultrafast
Read Range – medium, up to 100 ft, depends on frequency and technology
- UHF – usually up to 100 ft (depends on technology)
- Microwave – usually up to 30 ft (depends on technology)
Cost – high, starting at several dollars per tag
Typical Applications – applications with sensors – temperature tracking for inventory, transportation, assets; regular and returnable asset tracking where long read ranges are necessary
Behavior around water based liquids and metals – depends on frequency:
- UHF, Microwave – cannot read through aqueous liquids
- No frequencies can read through metal.
- Tags are encapsulated and can be tuned to perform well on metal.