All the needs are determined during a site and workflow assessment:
- Current data collection system assessment and business process analysis – determines the current systems used and processes deployed, their strengths and weaknesses
- A site survey – provides a physical review, analysis, recommendations and report by qualified RFID Engineers of the site where RFID infrastructure and equipment will be installed so that the RFID processes work 100% of the time
The basic steps that should be taken to ensure that other radio equipment will not interfere with an RFID deployment?
- A “Site Survey” to establish what other radio equipment may be in use
- Figure out which part of the RFID radio spectrum in use may be impacted
The basic steps that should be taken to ensure that other electrical equipment will not interfere with an RFID deployment?
- A “Site Survey” to establish what electrical equipment may be in use and whether or not it is creating Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)
- Assess if any EMI present is sufficient to degrade the RFID system performance
Site survey describes the whole process of site assessment that determines the needs of the customers, and provides information based upon the system will be designed and deployed.
Some, call a site survey only the part of the whole site assessment where the possible radio or EMI interference is determined, which is performed by using a spectrum analyzer.
The Site Assessment also includes review of environmental conditions:
- Weather (outside) – rain, snow, wind, temperature, humidity
- Type of Facility – industrial / business, Store front, Clean room
- Condition within the Facility – temperature extremes, humidity, chemicals, industrial dust / lint, vibration, motion / movement
- Location of – heavy machinery, conveyor belts, restricted zones by machines
- Emissions from Machines:
- Heat, steam, chemicals – will damage hardware
- Electromagnetic Field (EMF) and Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) – will affect system performance and reading tags by interfering with the RF signal
- Type of storage shelves and cabinets (metal shelving will block/reflect RF)