- Tag antenna size and type – the larger the antenna, the more power it can harvest from reader signal, the longer the read range. But may not be practical for small items.
- Single dipole tag antenna – may be orientation sensitive with linearly polarized reader antennas
- Dual dipole tag antenna – less orientation sensitive
- Material tag is placed on or near
- Water, moist materials, aqueous liquids – can detune the tag, must tune specifically and create offset from the surface
- Metal – detunes the tag, must tune specifically and create offset
- Tag processor type (“chip”) – chips differ by manufacturer, by processing speed, sensitivity, memory size and attachment to the antenna.
- Tag antenna impedance has to match the impedance of the integrated circuit (IC) over a desired bandwidth for best performance. It is tuned at manufacturing.
What is required is knowledge of what factors must be taken into account in configuring a RFID system rather than detailed knowledge of how to do so.